This is possibly the most significant campaign in the next year. The “Australian style deal” being touted by the government is really just a No Deal Brexit in disguise. However, the rebrand of ‘No deal’ to ‘Australian deal’ means that many people do not know that this is no deal, or what the consequences of crashing out of the EU without a deal would be.
When this is combined with the current Covid-19 pandemic, the impact of a No Deal Brexit will be even more detrimental to both our economy and our NHS.
We must get the government to extend the Brexit transition period, and avoid a No Deal Brexit.
This is a matter of urgency: The government is insisting that they will walk away from negotiations if no agreement is reached by the end of June. Therefore, we only have until the 1st of July to delay a No Deal Brexit.
We must get the Government to extend the transition period.
What can you do?
- Advocacy: MPs are most likely to listen to their own constituents, so it is essential that we all maintain a good relationship with our MP. You can download one of these template letter to your newly elected Conservative MP or your long-standing Conservative MP or your Labour MP that you can customise.
- Communications: People are far more likely to listen to voices in their community: their family, their friends. Thus, you are essential to getting people to listen to our message.
- Localising the issues: People and MPs are more likely to relate to the local impact of issues. Identify and communicate the local impact in your community.
But there are a number of smaller goals that you can help us achieve:
- We want to highlight the impact of a No Deal on key industries.
- We want to highlight the impact of a No Deal Brexit on different communities around the UK
- We want 100,000 people to sign our the European movement petition https://www.europeanmovement.co.uk/delaybrexit4covid19
- We want thousands of letters sent to local MPs
- We want to secure a number of supportive MPs to the campaign
- We want to have a cross party campaign, and secure at least one Brexit supporting MP that will argue for extension
- We want to get our side of the argument on digital channels and in the newspapers, in order to reach a diverse audience
- We want a high number of people hearing our message on social media
- We want to raise enough money to make this campaign as big as possible
The Key messages are:
- Pause the Brexit transition. Focus on Covid-19.
- One problem at a time. Our NHS and our economy cannot cope with both a No Deal Brexit and Covid19
- Pause the transition. Focus on our NHS.
- No Deal is Bad for Britain No to No Deal
- We cannot allow a catastrophic No Deal Brexit to destroy our NHS, our economy, and to risk lives.
- Save our economy. Save our NHS.
Do’s and don’ts
- Focus on pausing the transition - not stopping Brexit - make it clear that this is about more than Brexit
- Use urgent campaigning language
- Be polite, cross party and not controversial
- Lead people to the CTA
- Be polite to politicians and influencers, even if you don’t agree with them
- Be divisive, personal not cross-party
- Make sure that what your saying is rooted in provable fact
- Do not be controversial, or not family friendly
- Rub politicians the wrong way, we need to persuade them
Conservative Specific Messaging
Please note, we have put together some specific messaging that will assist you when speaking to Conservative MPs, particularly the new Conservatives in the former “red wall”. Please see the final two pages of this document for this messaging.
The petition: https://www.europeanmovement.co.uk/delaybrexit4covid19
The Crowdfunder: https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/delay-brexit-focus-on-covid19
The No Deal webpage: https://www.europeanmovement.co.uk/stop_no_deal
These blogs may be of use for extra content:
For this campaign the main # is: #Pause - so please always use this
But you could also use: #No2NoDeal or #PauseBrexit4Covid19 #ExtendTheTransition
We did it in 2019, and we can do it again, but we must act now. #Pause
Chip in and say no to a no deal Brexit.
We only have until June. We can #Pause the Brexit transition.
A no deal Brexit will mean delays at the Border #Pause
A no deal Brexit will mean medicine and PPE shortages. We must #Pause the transition anad avoid a No Deal Brexit.
#Pause Brexit. Focus on COVID-19.
#Pause the transition. Focus on our NHS.
Let’s focus on one problem at a time. #Pause
Now, when we are facing the biggest public health crisis since 1918, it is even more important to come together to protect our NHS and our economy from the disastrous effects of a No Deal Brexit. #Pause
Our NHS cannot cope with both a No Deal Brexit and COVID- 19.#Pause
A No Deal Brexit will fundamentally weaken the NHS’s ability to operate - let alone fight this global pandemic. We must tackle one problem at a time or the future of our NHS will be at risk.#Pause
Whether you voted leave or remain, we must now come together to do what is in the national interest. #Pause
According to the government’s own report, a No Deal Brexit will lead to shortages of medicine and food, chaos at our borders, and unrest in our streets #Pause
One problem at a time. Our NHS and our economy cannot cope with a No Deal Brexit and Covid19 #Pause
We cannot allow a catastrophic No Deal Brexit to destroy our NHS, our economy, and to risk lives. #Pause
We must stop a No Deal Brexit, and it has never been more important than during this Pandemic. Our NHS and our economy cannot cope with a No Deal Brexit and Covid19. It is as simple as that. #Pause
Example Letters to MPs
The letter that you send to your MP will depend on the party of the MP. Please download the sample letters below based on party - however, the more personal you can make the letters, the better. Just remember to always be polite - even if you disagree with the MP!
Localisation of these letters is essential to make the impact as big as possible.