A People's vote on the Brexit Deal
North East for Europe has welcomed the launching of a joint campaign for a People's Vote on the Brexit Deal.
The campaign brings together all the main groups that have been campaigning for the UK to retain strong ties with the Europan Union, including the European Movement, Britain for Europe and Open Britain.
There are 3 key reasons for the campaign:
1. New facts have come to light about the cost and complexity of Brexit.
2. Promises made about Brexit, like more money for our NHS, won’t be kept.
3. The Brexit process is a mess, which makes it more likely we will get a bad deal.
Starting with our action day in Newcastle on 14th April we, and millions of people across the country, are calling for the people, not just politicians, that decide whether we accept whatever Brexit deal (or no deal) the government end up negotiating.
North East for Europe says that:
- The 2016 referendum was not a vote for a destination. And the Government’s hard Brexit plan was decisively rejected by the public at the General Election in June.
- With less than a year remaining until we crash out of the EU, new facts are coming to light every day, on everything from the divorce bill, to the NHS, to the border in Northern Ireland.
- The Government has announced that we will withdraw from the Single Market and the Customs Union, where half our trade in goods and services are sold, and we still don’t know what will replace it.
- Given that the Brexit that was promised is not being delivered, it is only right that the public should be able to take a look at the deal before we leave and express their view on it.
If you agree that the people of this country deserve to have the final say on any Brexit deal, please join us in telling our MPs and Government that we want a People's Vote on the deal.